This article is from the 20th Century Appetizer Recipes, with numerous contributions by famous and also anonymous cooks
2 lb Spinach
1 pk Mushrooms (8 oz. )
1 lg Onion
5 Egg whites
1 pk Cheddar Cheese (8 oz. )
NO FAT Healthy Choice 1 pk Mozzarella Cheese (8 oz. )
NO FAT Healthy Choice 1 ts Pepper
1 pk Phyllo dough
REMOVE PHYLLO DOUGH FROM FREEZER! Let set at room Temp, for 5 hours.
1. Remove stems from Spinach and wash.
2. Cut onions and saute in vege. broth, wine, and/or water.
3. Wash and slice mushrooms and add to the onions. (Cook until all liquid evaporates. )
4. Remove onions and mushrooms from heat, put in large bowl.
5. Saute Spinach in vege. broth, wine, and/or water, tossing frequently until all liquid evaporates.
6. Mix onions, mushrooms, and spinach together, making sure onions and mushrooms are evenly distributed throughout the spinach.
7. In large bowl, beat egg whites lightly with whisk.
8. Add grated cheese to egg mixture and mix thoroughly.
9. Add Spinach mixture to egg and cheese mixture and stir until mixed well. CRUST: Phyllo Dough PREHEAT OVEN to 400 degrees ASSEMBLE:
1. Spray large, rectangular glass baking dish with PAM.
2. Quickly layer 7 to 10 sheets of Phyllo on the bottom of the dish, spraying each layer lightly with Pam.
3. Spread half of Spinach filling on top.
4. Put another 7 to 10 sheets of Phyllo, spraying lightly with Pam.
5. Spread the other half of Spinach filling.
6. Top with 10 to 15 sheets of Phyllo, spraying each layer lightly with Pam
7. Spray top lightly with Pam.
8. Using a sharp knive, cut through the top layers of the Phyllo dough in desired pattern . . . large, small, rectangular, square, or diamond.
9. Bake between 375 to 400 degrees for 35 minutes 'til golden brown.