This article is from the 20th Century Appetizer Recipes, with numerous contributions by famous and also anonymous cooks
1/4 c Butter or margarine
1/4 c All-purpose flour
1 t Salt
2 c Milk
1 1/2 c Grated sharp Cheddar cheese
20 oz Frozen cut-up asparagus, thawed
1/2 c Toasted slivered almonds
1. In a 1-quart, heat-resistant, non-metallic measuring cup place butter. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 1 minute or until melted.
Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
3. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 5 minutes or until thickened and smooth. Stir occasionally.
Stir in cheese until melted.
5. Place 1 package of asparagus in a deep, 2-quart, heat-resistant, non-metallic baking dish.
6. Sprinkle 1/2 of toasted almonds over asparagus. Pour half of sauce over almonds.
7. Repeat layers with remaining asparagus, almonds and sauce.
8. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
9. Before serving, sprinkle with paprika, if desired.