This article is from the 20th Century Appetizer Recipes, with numerous contributions by famous and also anonymous cooks
12 lb Turkey
Salt and pepper to taste 6 tb Flour
Salt and pepper Chicken broth
1. If turkey is frozen it may be defrosted in the Microwave Oven (follow directions in your manual), or it may be defrosted by placing it in the refrigerator overnight or until thawed.
2. Wash turkey and pat it dry. Sprinkle inside cavity with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Tie legs together. Tie wings and legs to body.
4. Invert a heat-resistant, non-metallic saucer or small casserole cover in a shallow, 10-inch, heat-resistant, non-metallic baking dish.
5. Place turkey breast-side-down on the saucer.
6. Heat, uncovercd, for half of cooking time, 3 minutes per pound (36 minutes).
7. Turn the turkey breast-side-up and continue cooking covered with a paper towel for the remaining half of the cooking time. (3 minutes per pound or an additional 36 minutes).
8. Insert a meat thermometer into fleshy portion of turkey, not touching any bones. It should register 160F. DO NOT PLACE THERMOMETER IN MICROWAVE OVEN while cooking.
9. If temperature is not 160F return turkey to Microwave Oven for an additional few minutes until correct temperature is reached.
10. Let turkey stand covered with aluminum foil at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes to finish cooking. The internal temperature of the turkey should be 170F after standing.
11. While the turkey is standing at room temperature, prepare the gravy. The turkey should be removed from the roasting pan.
12. Pour the pan drippings into a bowl, leaving the residue in the pan.
13. Allow the fat to rise to the top. Skim off about 6 tablespoons of fat. Reserve pan drippings. (If there is not enough fat, add butter or margarine to make 6 tablespoons total
Discard any excess fat. )
14. Return fat to the baking dish.
15. Blend in flour and salt and pepper, to taste.
16. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
17. Measure the remaining pan drippings and add enough chicken broth to make 3 cups.
18. Gradually stir liquid into flour mixture until smooth, scraping the sides of the pan to loosen any particles that stick to the pan.
19. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 14 minutes or until thickened and smooth. Stir occasionally during last half of cooking.