This article is from the 20th Century Appetizer Recipes, with numerous contributions by famous and also anonymous cooks
34 oz Canned sliced beets, undrained
2 t Whole pickling spices
2/3 c Sugar
2/3 c White vinegar
1 lg Cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch slices 1 md Onion, thinly sliced
1. Drain beets and reserve 2/3 cup liquid.
2. Tie pickling spices in a piece of cheesecloth.
3. Combine beets, sliced cucumber, onion, reserved liquid, sugar, vinegar and cheesecloth bag in a deep, 2-quart, heat-resistant, non-metallic casserole.
4. Heat, covered, in Microwave Oven
12 minutes or until mixture boils. Stir occasionally.
5. Chill to marinate.
6. Remove pickling spices before serving.