This article is from the 20th Century Appetizer Recipes, with numerous contributions by known and also anonymous authors
1 1/2 lb Fresh broccoli, washed, split and cut into
2-inch -pieces or 10 oz Pk frozen broccoli spears
2 T Butter or margarine
1 c Sliced fresh mushrooms or
4 oz Can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 t Grated onion
2 T Flour
1/4 t Salt
1/8 t Pepper
1 c Milk
1 c Grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Heat fresh broccoli in a deep, 2 1/2-quart, heat-resistant, non-metallic casserole, covered, in Microwave Oven 8 to 9 minutes. (Note: If frozen broccoli spears are used, defrost and place in a shallow, 9-inch, heat-resistant, non-metallic baking dish.)
2. In a small, heat-resistant, non-metallic bowl, combine butter, mushrooms and onion. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Blend flour and seasonings into butter-mushroom mixture. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 3 minutes, stirring after 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Gradually add milk, stirring until mixture is smooth. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 3 minutes. Stir every minute.
5. Pour hot mushroom sauce over cooked broccoli. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and paprika. Heat, uncovered, 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.