This article is from the Children Allergies and Asthma FAQ, by Eileen Kupstas Soo email@example.com with numerous contributions by others.
Contributor: Pete TerMaat( firstname.lastname@example.org)
The following is a collection of information on dust mite allergies
and their control. Please send email to email@example.com if you have any
comments or suggestions.
DUST MITE ALLERGIES
- Bachman, Judy, _Allergy Environment Guidebook: New Hope & Help for
Living & Working Allergy-Free_, c. 1990, Putnam Publishing Group,
257 pages. Information on allergies, effects of stress, advice on
building, decorating, remodeling and otherwise coping with
allergies. More depth and detail than most books on environmental
- Aslett, Don, _Make Your House Do The Housework_, c. 1986 Writer's
Digest Books, 201 pages. Tells you how to design and decorate a
house so that it requires a minimum of cleaning and maintenance.
- Consumer Reports, Oct 1992, reviews a number of air purifiers.
Friedrich C90 is the top-rated model. 512-225-2000 is the Friedrich
number. A mail-order provider is S and S Buying Service,
- Consumer Reports, Feb 1993, reviews vacuum cleaners, including the
Nilfisk GS 90. They found it effective at filtering dust
particles. Suggested that the best solution for the severely
allergic may be to limit the use of carpeting.
- USENET misc.consumers.house archive on central vacuum cleaners,
available on the web at
- Allergy Control Products, 1-800-422-3878. Offer encasings made of
fabrics which they claim keep out dust mites while allowing water
vapor to pass through. Less clammy than the usual vinyl
encasings. Also filters, dust sealants, asthma supplies.
They offer a pamphlet, "Understanding Vacuum Cleaners, Vacuum
Exhaust and Allergen Containment." Separate catalogs for dust,
mold, and cat allergies.
- Bio-Tech Systems, 1-800-621-5545. A 17 page catalog containing
information and products related to dust allergies, mold allergies,
and asthma. Filters, masks, mattress and pillow encasings, dust
sealants, dust mite removers, mold preventers, nebulizers.
- Allergy and Asthma Products Company, 1-800-221-6483. A 5 page guide
to dust, mold, and asthma control, and 2 pages of products.
Filters, bedding protectors, sprays, masks.
- The AL-R-G Shoppe, Inc., 305-981-9182. A 17 page catalog. Lots of
cosmetics, jewelry, plus the usual filters and mattress encasings.
- Allergy Controlled Environments, 1-800-882-4110
- Allergy Relief Shop, 615-522-2795
2932 Middlebrook Pike, Knoxville, TE 37921