lotus



previous page: Drugs: Ant Poisons/Miscellaneous Insecticides - XX
  
page up: Pet Owner's Guide to Common Small Animal Poisons
  
next page: Drugs: Cleaning Products - XXX

Drugs: Antifreeze - XXX




Description

This article is from the Pet Owner's Guide to Common Small Animal Poisons, by Julie Dahlke, DVM, a graduate of the University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine.

Drugs: Antifreeze - XXX

Poisoning by antifreeze, or ethylene glycol, is one of the most common
small animal toxicities, particularly up here in the cold north. Every
year do-it-yourself motorists get out the gear needed to winterize
their vehicles, including antifreeze. Unfortunately, this poison has a
sweet taste and spilled or leaked antifreeze is lapped up by many dogs
and cats in quantities sufficient to cause severe sickness and even
death.

It takes only about 1/2 teaspoon per pound for a dog to get a toxic
dose of ethylene glycol, the active ingredient in antifreeze, and less
for a cat. Although the poison affects both the animal's neurological
and kidney function, the most severe damage usually involves the
kidneys. Clinical signs in affected animals include depression,
incoordination, vomiting, and seizures. The best way to combat
antifreeze poisoning is by preventing the animal from having the
opportunity to drink the poison. Keep all containers tightly closed
when not in use and clean up spills immediately. It should be noted
that this toxin affects people as well as pets and that small children
are also at risk for ethylene glycol poisoning.

There is currently a new product on the market (one trade name is
Sierra(tm)) which claims to be safer than other brands of
antifreeze. This product contains propylene glycol as its active
ingredient. If ingested, it can still cause the nervous system injury
resulting in incoordination and possibly seizures but does not cause
the more frequently fatal kidney damage. It is clear using such a
product would pose less of a health hazard. The best advice remains,
however, to always use any potentially toxic product carefully to
prevent accidental poisoning in the first place.

 

Continue to:













TOP
previous page: Drugs: Ant Poisons/Miscellaneous Insecticides - XX
  
page up: Pet Owner's Guide to Common Small Animal Poisons
  
next page: Drugs: Cleaning Products - XXX