This article was written by Gini Grey, who is a Transformational Coach, utilizing a powerful blend of coaching, counseling and spiritual energy tools in her individual sessions, workshops, books and CD's. For more information go to www.ginigrey.com.
Awareness of our affinity, whether it be for a friend, a partner, a family member, an animal, nature, a hobby, or career, brings us in touch with our essential essence. That feeling of fondness and love for another person or path in life ignites a spark within us; a spark of light that lifts us up beyond our daily roles and tasks, past temporary turmoil, and into a remembrance of who we are at the core of our being.
It is easy to lose sight of our affinity for self and others when we are caught up in our daily tasks, accomplishing as many items on our 'to do' list as we can. With the myriad of responsibilities in our life and the whirlwind of chaos in the world, we can get lost in the debris. Yet as we turn inward and connect with our affinity for the small and large things in our life, we see the bigger picture and regain a healthy balance and perspective.
Focusing on what we are drawn to, what we admire, what we feel a connection with, opens our heart, puts a smile on our face, and supports us in being the powerful beings that we are.
* Who do you have an affinity with right now - who are the people you are fond of in your life? Do you spend time connecting with them? What supports that connection? What diminishes it?
* What aspects of nature do you have an affinity with - do you love trees, flowers, forests, fields, beaches, sunshine, water, snow capped mountains? What do you do to enjoy your connection with nature? How does it feel when you connect with nature?
* Do you have an affinity for the path you are on in life? Explore your affinity with the various areas in your life such as your friendships and relationships, or your career path, or path of personal and spiritual growth. What aspects of your life path do you love and appreciate?
* Get in touch with your affinity by reflecting on all the things you enjoy: the people you are fond of, aspects of nature you love, areas of your life you are happy with. Notice what this state of affinity feels like and let it expand to fill your whole body.
* Reflect on any areas of your life path that you are not in affinity with and ask yourself what steps you could take to either increase your affinity for this area (i.e. practicing acceptance, forgiveness or appreciation) or create positive change so you and your path are in affinity.
* Each day as you wake up, tune into the feeling of affinity within you; that glow of love within your heart and soul, and bring it into your daily activities. Throughout the day if you notice you've dropped out of affinity, simply re-tune to it by focusing on something you love or enjoy.
"Love is the affinity which links and draws together the elements of the world. "
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin