This article is from the can.talk.guns FAQ, by Skeeter Abell-Smith email@example.com with numerous contributions by others.
Applicable taxes on firearms and motor vehicles are the same, being the
Goods and Services Tax and Provincial Sales Taxes. Motor vehicles are
not banned for being paramilitary in appearance or colour (i.e Jeeps and
4WD vehicles), or having automatic transmissions or large capacity (>
5 litres) gas tanks.
Cars versus firearms
- Driver licences allow you to take your vehicle anywhere in Canada.
- There is no national vehicle registry.
- You don't have to register a car at time of purchase.
- You don't have to register your car (unless you drive on public
- If you register your car, you don't need a permit to drive it
- It is not a _crime_ to not register your car.
- You don't need a driver's licence to buy a car (or fuel).
- You don't need references to buy a car or get a licence.
- You don't need a permit to tow or ship a vehicle.
- You don't have to take a safety course to own a car.
- You don't have to pass a criminal background check to buy a car.
- You don't have to be over 17 to buy a car (or fuel).
- You don't have to prove you own a car to buy fuel.
- You don't have to justify the purchase of a car to anyone.
- You don't have to justify continuing to own your car.
- You don't have to pay a fee for continuing to own your car.
- You don't have to be a member of an accredited national club to own
- You don't have to store your locked car in a locked garage.
- You don't have to remove the spark plugs and fuel when the car is
not in use.
- You won't lose your car because of "improper storage" or someone's
- You may own as many cars as you want (and can afford).
- You may sell your car to anyone at any time.
- No one fears government confiscation of her/his car.
- There is no list of prohibited "assault cars" (based on appearance).
- You can use a car as collateral on a loan.
- You don't have to answer extremely personal questions about your
financial, emotional and sexual histories to buy, own or use a car.
Coalition For Gun Control fact sheet.