This article is from the ZTerm FAQ, by Les Jones email@example.com with numerous contributions by others.
You can call a friend's computer and exchange files directly
without going through a BBS. Here's how:
1. Set the software on both machines to local echo.
2. Set the software on both machines to 8 data bits, no stop bits,
and no parity. Also set both modems to the same data rate. Start
slow and work your way up.
3. Speak to each other on the phone just before calling with the
4. Hangup and have one person make the call. When the phone rings
on the receiving end, type ATA in ZTerm and press the return key.
5. Type a greeting to make sure you're properly connected.
6. The person sending files should have Transfer Convert under the
File menu set properly. Use MacBinary to transfer files between two
Macs. Use Binary for Mac-to-PC transfers.
7. The person sending the file should use ZModem. The other
computer will automatically receive the file.
8. The receiving party must have selected a default receive folder
by choosing Set Receive folder under the Settings menu.