This article is from the ZTerm FAQ, by Les Jones email@example.com with numerous contributions by others.
If the service you're calling supports ZModem, use it, because:
- ZModem is very fast.
- ZModem is a batch protocol, meaning you can place more than one
file into a batch for uploading or downloading. Most protocols make
you request files one at a time.
- ZModem has crash recovery. If a 3 hour download is interrupted 1
minute before it finishes, you can redial the service, start the
download again, and finish where you left off.
- ZModem receives begin automatically. To start a ZModem download,
simply tell the other computer to begin the transfer. Your computer
will detect a ZModem transfer and automatically enter receive mode.
This autoreceive feature necessitates the default download folder,
which ZTerm also uses with other transfer protocols.
- ZModem handles XON/XOFF software flow control better than other
- ZModem detects the presence of hardware error correction, such as
MNP 4 and v.42, and turns off its own error detection. The result
is faster throughput when using error-correcting modems.