Beer and Other Brewing FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions posted to rec.crafts.brewing, involving home beer making.
This FAQ about Beer and Other Brewing was compiled and written by
Kurt Swanson firstname.lastname@example.org with numerous contributions by others.
Copyright © 1992-1998, Kurt Swanson. All rights reserved.
Permission is hereby granted to disseminate copies free of charge
(inclusive of media costs), provided this message is contained
- 1. How is beer made?
- 2. How do I start? What equipment do I need?
- 3. What is the HomeBrewDigest (HBD)?
- 4. Where can I access the archives?
- 5. Where can I get a copy of "The Cat's Meow" (recipe book)?
- 6. What is a good text on brewing?
- 7. Where can I get mail order supplies?
- 8. What are the "lambic-list", "beerjudge-list", "cider-list", and "mead" lists?
- 9. What is the A.H.A./Zymurgy?
- 10. I'm going to (city), what brewpubs are there?
- 11. My terminal gravity seems high, should I worry?
- 12. Why hasn't my yeast done anything yet?
- 13. Are there any homebrew clubs in (city)?
- 14. What's the word on Bottle Fillers?
- 15. What is CAMRA?
- 16. What is a hydrometer? How is it used? What is "specific gravity"?
- 17. What is a wort chiller? How/why is it used?
- 18. What is hot break? What is cold break?
- 19. How are all-grain recipes converted to extract?
- 20. Regarding hops, what are alpha acids? What is HBU? What is IBU?
- 21. What is "dry hopping"? How should I dry hop?
- 22. What are 20L, 40L, etc. crystal malts? What is Lovibond?
- 23. What is "Wyeast" (liquid yeast)? How is "Wyeast" pronounced?
- 24. How do I make a yeast starter?
- 25. How do I convert from PPM to mg/l and vice-versa?
- 26. What net links exist for brewing?
- 27. What about distilling? Marijuana in beer?
- 28. Should I avoid aluminum brewpots?
- 29. How do I convert from US to UK measures, and vice-versa?
- 30. Why should I avoid glucose, table sugar, honey, apple juice, etc. in making yeast starters?