lotus



previous page: 12 What Are Other Countries Doing About The Amalgam Issue?
  
page up: Amalgam and Mercury-free Dentistry FAQ
  
next page: 14 Why Are State Dental Boards Attacking Mercury-Free Dentists?

13 Is There Information For The Chemically Sensitive Patient?




Description

This article is from the Amalgam and Mercury-free Dentistry FAQ.

13 Is There Information For The Chemically Sensitive Patient?

Most of the following information for the hypersensitive patient,
except as (Ed. Noted), was taken from a special letter by Alfred
V. Zamm, M.D., FACAI, FACP, 111 Maiden Lane, Kingston, NY 12401-4597
that he provides to his MCS patients.

1. Local Anesthetic: a). If a local anesthetic is required, use 3%
carbocaine without epinephrine in a single-dose disposable
''carpule'' with no preservative. b). Epinephrine comes with a
bisulfite preservative, which is often very disruptive to
hypersensitive patients. In addition, the epinephrine itself is
often degraded more slowly by an inefficient cytochrome P-450
system (detoxification enzyme system); hence, small doses give
large effects to these patients.

2. Avoid eugenol or substances containing eugenol. Even in small
quantities, eugenol has been devastating to many patients.

3. Avoid the use of ''varnish'' to coat the inside of the tooth prior
to treatment.

4. Avoid protective plastic tooth coatings, as they are often not
tolerated.

5. Root canals. The root canal ''caulking'' paste is often not
tolerated by chemically sensitive patients. This paste contains
cytotoxic substances such as eugenol and halogenated hydrocarbons
such as chlorothymol, iodothymol, as well as resins. These
substances frequently produce insidious chronic
reactions. (Ed. Note: Root canal sealers and fillers made of
calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide have been well tolerated by
chemically sensitive patients. A product called Biocalex (See Main
Menu) which is based on heavy calcium oxide, is capable of being
used without the addition of any cytotoxic substances).

6. The following substances have almost always been well tolerated:
a). ''ZOP'' (zinc oxyphosphoric acid) cement (be careful not to
have ZOE inadvertently substituted, as ZOE contains
eugenol). b). High gold alloys that do not contain palladium.

7. Some individuals are intolerant to composite dental materials used
as a replacement for amalgam. To find out if you are intolerant to
the plastic-containing fillings, replace one small filling and wait
two weeks. (Ed. Note: Please ask the dentist to cure the composite
thoroughly, using additional time with the curing light if
required. If at all possible see if the dentist can have an inlay
or onlay fabricated in a dental lab as the restoration of
choice. Composites cured in the laboratory are usually done under
high heat and pressure, providing complete curing of the
composite). Observe for any reactions over this two-week period. If
you have not had any adverse reactions during this two-week period,
then replace a second small filling and wait another two weeks and
observe for any possible reactions. This is done as a double check
to make sure that you can tolerate the plastic.

8. Toxic reactions to mercury vs allergic reactions to plastic: It is
common to have a toxic reaction to the mercury vapors resulting
from the removal of the mercury-containing fillings. This toxic
reaction takes place during the first week and over the second week
gradually lessens. Do not confuse this with an allergic reaction to
the plastic, which starts during the first few days and which will
not lessen but will worsen over the next one to two weeks. If you
determine that you are reacting to the plastic, have the dentist
remove this test plastic filling immediately. In this case, do not
proceed to the second trial.

Your options at this point are to use high quality gold and Z.O.P
cement without eugenol, (Ed. Note: You can have a dental materials
reactivity test done to determine your sensitivity to dental
materials. Have your dentist contact Clifford Consulting & Research
(719) 550-0008 or Fax (719) 550-0009 for details).

9. Additional nutritional self-help suggestions before and after
removal of dental mercury: a). Vitamin C is somewhat protective
against foreign (xenobiotic) molecules. You should not take vitamin
C during the five hours prior to your dental appointment, as it may
lessen the anesthetic effect. However, bring extra vitamin C with
you and take a minimum of 500 mg after completion of your dental
work and before leaving the dental office. b). Take chemically pure
liquid selenium solution, one teaspoon daily (if tolerated), three
days before and three days after each dental visit. The selenium
will help protect you against unavoidable mercury exposure during
the removal process. (Ed Note: If not available at your health-food
store, a liquid selenium source is available from the manufacturer
and can be purchased online at
http://www.nutricology.com/proddesc/category/selenium.htm).


 

Continue to:















TOP
previous page: 12 What Are Other Countries Doing About The Amalgam Issue?
  
page up: Amalgam and Mercury-free Dentistry FAQ
  
next page: 14 Why Are State Dental Boards Attacking Mercury-Free Dentists?