Frequently Asked Questions about Locksmithing.
This FAQ about Locksmithing was compiled and written by by Joe
"Spike" Ilacqua firstname.lastname@example.org and Henry Schaffer email@example.com, major
data collection effort by Scott Anguish firstname.lastname@example.org
with numerous contributions by others.
Credit and Thanks
The alt.locksmithing FAQ was put together from postings by
email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org (Joe "Spike" Ilacqua), and
email@example.com (Henry Schaffer), with a major data collection effort by
firstname.lastname@example.org (Scott Anguish). Edited by hes. Translated to
English by email@example.com (Elizabeth Lear). Send comments,
criticisms, and compliments to "firstname.lastname@example.org".
The following have contributed to this FAQ:
Scott Anguish email@example.com
J. James (Jim) Belonis II firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephen J Berch email@example.com
John F. Bousquet firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Boyd email@example.com
Robert Bruce Findler firstname.lastname@example.org
Hobbit hobbit@>(looking for current address)
Marcus Jenkins email@example.com
Larry Margolis firstname.lastname@example.org
Andy McFadden email@example.com
William A Moyes firstname.lastname@example.org
Stan Schwarz email@example.com
Thomas E Zerucha firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel Hagan email@example.com
Joe Kesselman firstname.lastname@example.org
Roger Weitzenkamp email@example.com
Jay Hennigan firstname.lastname@example.org
Billy B. Edwards Jr. BMP1@concentric.net
Robert Stahr Robert.Stahr@sophia.inria.fr
Marc Goldberg email@example.com
Tom Pettigrew firstname.lastname@example.org
Andru Luvisi email@example.com
Indra's Net -- Internet Access with an Attitude
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org URL: http://www.indra.com
Modem: (303) 786-7405 Voice: (303) 546-9151
for providing host facilities.
- 01 Will people on this newsgroup give me information about picking locks, etc.?
- Yes and No. These is a serious debate, based on ...
- 02 Where can I get a lock pick set?
- Try a locksmith supply house. Look under Locksmiths' Equipment &...
- 03 How can I make my own picks and tension wrenches?
- You can file or (more easily) grind picks out of spring steel. ...
- 04 Is it legal to carry lock picks?
- This depends on where you are. In the U.S. the common case ...
- 05 Where can I get the "MIT Guide to Picking Locks"?
- The author of the MIT Guide to Picking Locks, Ted ...
- 06 What books can I get on locksmithing?
- Bill Phillips has written a number of locksmithing books. For ...
- 07 What are "pick guns" or "automatic pickers" and do they work?
- A pick gun is a manual or powered device that uses a ...
- 08 How do I open a Kryptonite lock?
- 09 Can the Club be picked? Is the Club any good?
- 10 How can I get keys stamped "DO NOT DUPLICATE" duplicated?
- Some locksmiths will take the Nike approach and Just Do It. ...
- 11 Do Skeleton Keys Exists?
- 12 Should I bother with high security ("pick proof") locks and other security enhancements for my home?
- 13 Locksmithing: What should I do after I read a book?
- 14 How do I continue learning about locksmithing?
- There are several things you can do to continue learning more ...
- 15 How do I learn the locksmithing trade?
- Joe Kesselman posted this advice:...
- 16 How do I learn more about Master Keying?
- Here are some references:...
- 17 How do Simplex pushbutton locks work?
- Hobbit has written an excellent discussion on workings ...
- 18 Is there a formula that can find the combination of a Master Lock?
- Not as far as anyone knows. I.e., the combination is not ...
- 19 Can the combination of a Master Lock be found though manipulation?
- Recently a method of finding the combination of a Master Lock has ...
- 20 Locksmithing: What is the "shear line"?
- Visualize a door lock - there is a fixed block (the lock body ...
- 21 Locksmithing: What is "impressioning"?
- Impressioning is a technique for opening a lock by making a key out ...
- 22 Locksmithing: What is a code? What is a codebook?
- Ever see a lock on a desk, filling cabinet, or a key with a ...
- 23 How do I open a car door with a Slim Jim?
- Besides picking the lock, one can open a car door with a wire ...
- 24 Locksmithing: What is a jiggler key?
- A thin piece of metal cut in the general shape of a key, the ...
- 25 Is there an ethical dimension to locksmithing?
- Yes. Locksmithing is an old craft, and there is a strong tradition ...
- 26 I have a safe without the combination - how do I open it?
- Either throw the safe away, or pay a safe expert to open it, ...
- 27 How do I change the combination of a safe?
- The better safe locks can be changed to a new combination....
- 28 How do I disassemble a Kwikset key-in-knob entry set?
- 0) Open the door. (If you can't, call a locksmith!)...
- 29 alt.locksmithing: Why are posts of binaries (pictures) against the consensus rules of this news.group?
- This has been discussed a number of times in the past. The consensus ...
- 30 Locksmithing: Should my business be a shop or a mobile unit (truck)?
- When you reach the point of opening your own locksmith business (after you ...
- 31 Other online locksmithing related resources:
- + Graham Pulford's Catalogue of High Security ...
- 32 Locksmith fora
- + Clearstar Security Network By subscription only,...
- 33 Locksmithing: Glossary
- There is also a Dictionary ...
- 34 Locksmithing: Appendix
- Here are some of the things collected about locations ...
- 35 Locksmithing: Appendix p2
- 36 Locksmithing: Appendix p3
- #52044 PERSONAL PICKS (VHS TAPE - 72min) by Eddie the Wire, 1988....
- 37 Locksmithing related books in their catalog
- COMPLETE GUIDE TO LOCK PICKING by Eddie the ...
- 38 Locksmithing: Workshop Contents
- In no particular order (the first person in some items is from ...